Monday, December 12, 2011

Delicious Goo

Cranberries and raisins in the pot
Every year my mom makes delicious cranberry raisin tarts.  They are a very necessary part of my family's Thanksgiving and Christmas tradition, but there is a limit to how many times a year I need to eat tarts.

When I want a cranberry raisin fix at other times of the year this is how I get it.  I call it cranberry raisin goo.  Appetizing, no?

Mmmm, delicious goo

Put one bag of fresh cranberries and about 1/2 cup of raisins in a small sauce pan on medium low heat.  Add Splenda and spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, whatever you like) to taste.  Cook until the cranberies have popped and the raisins have somewhat rehydrated.  Remove from heat and eat warm or cold.

Here is my mom's recipe.

Mix 2 cups cranberries, 1/2 cup raisins, 1/2 cup sugar , 1 1/2 Tbs flour, 1/2 cup orange juice, pinch of cinnamon (to taste,) a sprinkle of salt (1/8 tsp?) and a little bit of finely grated orange peel (maybe 1/2 to 1 tsp? (eyeball it) in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring regularly, until the cranberries start to pop (5 minutes?) then remove from heat and stir in 1 TBS butter.  Taste and adjust spices if needed. Let cool while you form your tart shells, then fill the shells and bake @ 425 until the the piecrust is done (maybe 20 minutes?).  Fill tart shells with cranberry mixture.

My version has about 3 PointsPlus per serving, if you calculate the cranberries as 0 because they are a fresh fruit.  I won't calculate my mom's version.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.
If you have trouble commenting or just feel like sending me an email, please email me at the address provided on the About I Dream of... {by Jeanne} page.