Monday, January 9, 2012

Acorn Earrings

Nature is a veritable crafting super store.  Now that I am making an effort to be craftier I see supplies everywhere I go.
I picked up a bunch of acorn caps on one of my walks with Gadget recently, and today they were reborn into earrings.

Acorn Earrings
Materials:
  • Acorn caps
  • Beads that are about the same size as the acorns were
  • Acorns (if making acorn earrings with acorns instead of or in addition to beads)
  • Headpins
  • Earring findings
  • Multi-temp hot glue sticks (if making acorn earrings with acorns)

Tools:
  • Round nose pliers
  • Wire cutters
  • Thumb tack or straight pin
  • Multi-temp hot glue gun (if making acorn earrings with acorns)
For the bead version:
With the thumb tack or straight pin, drill a hole through acorn cap from underneath.  Slide the bead and acorn cap onto a a head pin.  With round nose pliers, make a loop just above the acorn cap, and cut away extra length from the headpin. Attach an earring finding and you're done.














For the acorn version:
With the thumb tack or straight pin, drill a hole through acorn cap from underneath.  Slide acorn cap onto a head pin. Put a dab of hot glue on the underside of the acorn cap and press the acorn into the glue.  Done again! 
These earrings turned out prettier than I had anticipated.
Today's craft was inspired by this tutorial at MarthaStewart.com.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Those look amazing. I especially like the ones with the red beads.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.
If you have trouble commenting or just feel like sending me an email, please email me at the address provided on the About I Dream of... {by Jeanne} page.