Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Pearly Blues

My sister-in-law gave me these lovely blue glass pearls for Christmas.  Obviously she knows I am raccoon-like in my enjoyment of shiny things.

Multi-Layer String and Pearl Necklace
Materials:
  • Large and small glass pearls (or any other bead you choose)
  • Crimp beads
  • #10 crochet thread (I used light blue to match the pearls.)
  • Clasp (I used a toggle clasp because that is what I had on hand.)

Tools:
  • Crimping tool
  • Twisted wire beading needle


Using the wire beading needle, string beads on the crochet thread in any order you choose, placing two crimp beads in between each pearl.

 I chose to alternate large and small pearls.  Once you have 10-15 beads on your thread, play with spacing to see what type of effect you like.  I left about 1 1/2 inches of string between the pearls on my necklace.

Once you have decided on your desired arrangement, begin crimping the crimp beads in place on the string.  You should have crimp beads on both sides of each pearl to hold them in place.  If you don't have crimp beads on hand, you could also knot the beads in place.

When you have crimped all your beads and have a necklace at your desired length, cut your crochet thread, leaving some extra at both ends.  I made a three-strand necklace, so I repeated the above steps twice more.

When I had three strands, I tied the ends of each strand to the toggle clasp ends.  
Done!

1 comment:

Be nice.
If you have trouble commenting or just feel like sending me an email, please email me at the address provided on the About I Dream of... {by Jeanne} page.