Sunday, January 1, 2012

Quick and (Al)Luring Earrings

The first craft of my Crafty New Year challenge turned five fishing lures into three pairs of earrings and a bracelet.  The lures are from Walmart and cost between $1 and $2.50.

 
Red and Gold Earrings
The red and gold rooster tails were a snap to convert into jewelry.   
Materials:
  • 2 Rooster Tail fishing lures
  • 2 French hook earring findings
Tools:
  • Wire cutting pliers
  • Needle nose pliers
First I carefully removed the treble
hooks using wire cutters.
Then I added gold-plated
French hooks using needle
nose pliers.  Done!

Red and Gold Bracelet
I accidentally cut a lot of the feathers off of one of my red and gold lures, so it was no longer a good match.  Since I didn't want to waste the lure, I also made a matching bracelet. 
Materials:
  • 1 Rooster Tail fishing lure
  • Various sizes and shapes of glass seed beads
  • Small gold tone beads
  • Gold tone headpin
  • Gold tone memory wire
Tools:
  • Round nose pliers
First I disassembled the lure and separated the spinner and feathered portions.  I made a loop in the wire at the top of the feathered portion and put the headpin through the spinner portion.  I cut a length of memory wire that passed around my wrist a couple of times.  Then I made a small loop in the end of the wire using the round nose pliers.  I hooked the loop at the top of the feathered portion of the lure to the loop in the memory wire, then I began stringing the beads.  I did a fairly random pattern using large and small seed beads and bugle beads.
 
When I reached the end of the memory wire I finished the bracelet by making another loop.  I made a loop in the top of the headpin with the spinner on it and attached the headpin loop through the memory wire loop.

Ta da!

Fish Earrings and Gold Spinner Earrings
The sonic swing minnows required a little more disassembly and reassembly than the rooster tails, but I think the results were worth it.
Materials:
  • 2 Sonic Swing Minnow fishing lures
  • 2 gold plated french hooks earring findings
  • 2 silver plated french hooks earring findings
  • 2 gold tone headpins
Tools:
  • Wire cutters
  • Round nose pliers
For the fishy earrings...
First I carefully removed the treble
hooks. 

Next I straightened the wire and
removed the spinner and gold tone beads.












For the fishy earrings, I trimmed the
wire formed a loop using the round
nose pliers.
I added the silver plated French hooks.
Done!



For the golden spinner earrings...

I threaded the smallest golden bead, then
the spinner, then the larger beads onto
the headpin.
I clipped the headpin so it was just long
enough to bend into a loop.















Here it is with the loop.

Pair three, check!

Three pairs of earrings plus a bracelet!  The lures cost less than $10, and I had
all the jewelry findings on hand. 



Today's craft was inspired by this one from Craftzine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.
If you have trouble commenting or just feel like sending me an email, please email me at the address provided on the About I Dream of... {by Jeanne} page.