Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Rescue Me

In October of last year, Stephen and I adopted a four-year-old Boston Terrier from the Boston Terrier Rescue of South Carolina.  Since he has been a member of our family for six months, I decided it was a good time to reflect on our decision to get a rescue dog instead of a puppy.

I will never live it down that I told Stephen that Gadget is
"just a little bit bigger than Wonton."  Ok, maybe he's twice
Wonton's size.
I started to think that I might want a second dog last summer, when Wonton was diagnosed with a degenerative esophageal disease.  The thought of losing her after 13 years was terrifying.

I decided on a Boston Terrier because I was looking for a dog with a little more energy than Wonton who would be able to walk with me on our neighborhood, and Stephen was willing to get a second dog if it was about the same size as Wonton.  The local Boston Terrier rescue recommended Gadget (then named Bubba).  I went to see Gadget the first time while Stephen was out of town.  I dragged Stephen to meet the dog as soon as he was home.  (When Stephen tells this story he says that I got Gadget when he was out of town.  Not true!)

Gadget's Jolly Ball really makes him exceptionally jolly.
I am so glad we brought him into our home.  I have gone through quite a bit in the past six months, and Gadget has given me a reason to get up a lot of mornings.  I may not have felt like getting out of bed, but he wanted his walk and I didn't want to deprive him.

We have been incredibly lucky with Gadget.  He is 100% house trained, and he picked up obedience training quickly and eagerly.

If you are considering adopting a dog, please consider a rescue animal.  I've never second-guessed our choice.

Here are some of the many reasons I love Gadget (in photos).  I take a lot of photos of the dogs.


He's very patient.
He loves Wonton.  (The feeling is not
mutual.)


He loves his toys.  (What is Wonton doing under her bed?)
He really loves his toys.
I made this dog coat.

He loves warmth.
And sunny spots.


Sometimes he enjoys his toys in warm sunny spots.
He loves being wrapped in blankets
He prefers being completely wrapped in blankets.  He is in the pile
on the left.


He's a great walking buddy.






5 comments:

  1. Aw! My mother has a Boston (I just have cats though the fiancé wants a dog when we either buy or live somewhere that allows dogs). And he is probably the best damn dog I have ever encountered or had the pleasure to know. Good for you on rescuing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeanne,
    We so appreciate your kind words about our rescue. Gadget has the best home (and mom and dad)! As evidenced by Gadget, good dogs are thrown away by other people and it breaks your heart. But when good folks like you give a rescued dog such a good home, it makes it all worthwhile. Thank you! Susie (BTRSC)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got our Hope from BTRSC and she is the love of our lives! Gadget is a lucky man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for giving Gadget AKA Bubba such a wonderful home.. He so deserves it. Wonton is such a cutie pie... Have you heard Gadget Snore yet? He has such a great personality...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He snores like crazy! We can hear him all the way across the house. I find his snoring so adorable. We're so happy to have him. Thank you!

      Delete

Be nice.
If you have trouble commenting or just feel like sending me an email, please email me at the address provided on the About I Dream of... {by Jeanne} page.