Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Zombies, Run! Review

Image Credit: ZombiesRunGame.com
I am always looking for ways to motivate myself to continue exercising, and I have a strong interest in science fiction.  That's why I was immediately interested when I heard about the Android app Zombies, Run!  (It's also available for iPhone and Windows Phone.)

Zombies, Run! is an interactive game in which you gather supplies and outrun hordes of zombies to help your fellow humans survive.  The game uses either GPS or accelerometer data to track your speed and distance.

 It requires no input from the user during the workout, and mixes your music playlist with an interesting story line and mission status updates for a fun experience.  I like most anything that distracts me from my workouts.  After your workout is over you can play the game and use the supplies you gathered on your run to improve the human compound.

I tried it for the first time, and it was great.  Today I used it for a walk, not a run.  I like that you can use it for walking as well as running.  It kind of reminds me of the old computer adventure games like Zork because it uses the world's most powerful graphics processor... the human imagination.  (Ok, I stole the graphics processor line from the Big Bang Theory, but it's so true.)  Comparing it to Zork is a huge compliment in my book.

The one big downside of this app is the price.  The regular price is $7.99 which is why I didn't buy it when I first saw it a few months ago.  I'm not much for spending money on apps when there are so many good free ones.  I finally purchased it yesterday because for a limited time the game is just $3.99 on the Google Play store.  The 5k Training version of the app is only $1.99 right now.  (I didn't check iTunes or the Windows Phone store.)

I highly recommend Zombies, Run! if you have a smart phone and would like a fun, interactive fitness game.  It might even be worth its normal $7.99 price...  Maybe...

* I was not compensated for this review.  All opinions are my own.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm. I don' run (obviously) or even do much walking (outside shopping) and I doubt it'd work for biking or Jazzercise otherwise I'd totally be down with this.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.
If you have trouble commenting or just feel like sending me an email, please email me at the address provided on the About I Dream of... {by Jeanne} page.