Saturday, August 1, 2015

Walmart Beauty: No Frills, But Thrills?

I've gone a little mad for beauty boxes, and, though I was skeptical, I couldn't resist the siren call of Walmart's attempt at the market.  It's only $5.  You really can't go too far wrong for $5.  Walmart beauty boxes are delivered quarterly, with the products tailored to the season (spring, summer, fall, and winter).  I received the Summer 2015 box.
Not surprisingly, the Walmart box did not contain anything earth shaking.  This is my first beauty box that contained all products I recognized.  I know, I'm a cretin.  I was surprised, though, by the quantity and quality of the products that were in the box.  For $5 I received 10 beauty samples and two coupons.



Here's what I got:

  • Revlon Ultra HD Lipstick (plus $1 coupon)
  • Beach Blonde Sea Waves Sea Salt Spray
  • One Direction You & I Eau de Parfum
  • Nivea Soft Moisturizing Creme
  • Clean Scalp & Hair Therapy Nourishing Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
  • Aveeno protect + hydrate lotion sunscreen (plus $2 coupon)
  • Jergens Natural Glow self-tanner
  • Neutrogena healthy volume mascara
  • Neutrogena Healthy Skin Boosters facial cleanser
  • Ken Paves You Are Beautiful Volumizing Shampoo & Conditioner
I'm not going to review all of these products.  They are easy access, so if you want to try them, you probably can.

  • The Revlon lipstick is very creamy and pigmented, but it is prone to smearing and wearing off quickly.  The color "Gladiolus" is bold and pretty, but I'm too inattentive to my lipstick to wear that needs maintenance.  This one goes in the "give away" pile.
  • The Beach Blonde sea salt spray made me laugh.  All the beauty boxes were in on the idea that salt spray is the official hair product of summer.
  • I'm slightly ashamed to admit that I really like the scent of the One Direction perfume.  What am I, a 12 year old girl?  It is lightly floral without being cloying.  
  • The Nivea Soft cream will be a great addition to my purse.  It can be used on face, body, and hands. so it is the perfect cream to have in a pinch.
  • The Clear Shampoo, Aveeno sunscreen, Neutrogena cleanser, Neutrogena mascara, and Ken Paves shampoo and conditioner will be great for travel or guests, but the Jergens self-tanner may be a give-away.  I'm leery of self-tanners after too many streaky experiences.  
These products are more the workhorses of the beauty world, the unsung heros. They are no-frills.  No-frills doesn't mean bad, and I am very happy with this box.  I'm thrilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.
If you have trouble commenting or just feel like sending me an email, please email me at the address provided on the About I Dream of... {by Jeanne} page.