Sunday, January 24, 2016

Pack Rat: Unpacked

My packing skills have gotten better and better over the years, but I can't seem to find the sweet spot.  I always end up with a couple things more than I need.  My most recent trip was to visit my mom and sister in Portland.  For a five-day trip I brought:
  • Two sweater dresses
  • My Boston terrier sweater
  • A turtleneck
  • A cowl-neck sweater
  • One pair of skinny jeans
  • One pair of leggings
  • Two pairs of tights
  • One pair of boots
  • Two pairs of yoga pants (for sleep/exercise)
  • Two athletic tops (for sleep/exercise)
  • One pair of tennis shoes
  • A rain coat
  • A wool coat
  • A scarf (that I forgot on my first plane)
Wow, that looks like so much once I wrote it all out, but it all fit in a small, carry-on roller bag.  I wore a sweater dress, turtle neck, and jeans on the flight out, and I wore a dress, cowl-neck sweater, and leggings on the way home.  The other days I mixed it up.  I wore the boots the whole time.  Since I had washer/dryer access, I didn't have to worry about packing enough for the whole trip.  
This is what I wore on the plane.
And these are the gorgeous Frye boots I
got for a song right before the trip!
 Where did I go wrong?  I didn't wear any of the tights.  I would have been more comfortable with an extra pair of leggings instead of the jeans.  I could have used a sweatshirt for cozy relaxation.  

Where did I go right?  Layering.  I am not a fan of the cold, but the turtle neck and cowl neck sweater are slim fitting enough to wear under the dresses or Boston terrier sweater.  Wearing a sweater dress over leggings or jeans is cozy.  It was cold and drizzly, but I wasn't too bothered.  

How do you optimize your packing?  How do you identify the things to leave behind?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.
If you have trouble commenting or just feel like sending me an email, please email me at the address provided on the About I Dream of... {by Jeanne} page.